NOTE: NPR is running a podcasting contest starting in January. You can read about it here. If you would like to enter, talk to me, and use their guidelines instead of the ones below.
Record (click for tips) and edit a 5-10 minute podcast of a story OR an interview/conversation.
Want to do something different that uses the same skills (like a radio story)? Talk to me before you start.
Click here to hear an example podcast (without an interview).
• An intro -- less than 30 seconds. Have a prepared welcoming message in the intro; lower the volume of the music during the welcoming message. Fade the music out at the end when the main conversation begins.
• An outro -- less than 30 seconds. Have a prepared closing message in the outro that can thank the audience and encourage them to listen next time. Lower the volume of the music during the outro message. Fade the music in at the beginning of the outro and fade it out at the end.
• Music that you create--can be in the intro and outro.
• 5-10 minutes total length.
• Show care and effort.
• BONUS: Sound effects, if you're doing storytelling.